POEM -> About POEM
1. Because BPMN (Business Process Modelling Notation) itself is not sufficient to cover all organizational process aspects, or, business process aspects.
2. Because BPMN is only a notation, as its name suggests ;) . How to use it, that is another issue...
3. Because process approach is already included in modern standards (e.g. ISO9001:2000).
4. Because legacy organizational and process modelling methods incorporate BPMN only as add-on, not core language.
5. Because a lot of organisation's quality policies include textual descriptions of the processes, or simple EPC diagrams. They're often ambiguous, complex, hard to understand and contain no overview of processes (or, process map).
All regards to BPMI.org, who created a great tool - BPMN. But, what is a tool without instructions? Or, if you build a house, you will surely need a hammer (BPMN), but, you will also need other tools, plans... Here comes POEM method to enhance and simplify the usage of BPMN.
What does POEM contain?
Two basic parts:
1. Packages, or process aspects definitions (where is BPMN process diagram just one of them)
2. Process, which teaches us how to approach process modelling project.